Space Flight Components & Assemblies
In increasing ways, our lives depend upon launching and maintaining structures in space, from daily communications and wireless internet to accurate weather predictions and commercial navigation. During their useful life, spacecraft and satellites are subject to profound changes in temperature, acceleration, radiation, and other physical forces. When it comes to space applications, you need a high-performing manufacturing partner because component failure is not an option.
Elcon Precision, an industry-leading supplier of aerospace industry products, has been manufacturing reliable components and assemblies for space environments for over 15 years. We provide a comprehensive range of engineering, material science, manufacturing, and assembly services for mission-critical components. Our specialty is developing innovative solutions for client-specific challenges.
Elcon Precision is the only supplier in the world qualified to assemble commercial ion engines for deep space missions.
Precision Manufacturing Combined with Superior Quality
Designing and manufacturing parts and assemblies for space travel and exploration requires a systematic approach, process control, careful engineering, and expert knowledge of materials science. Elcon Precision is ISO 9001:2015 and AS9100D certified and has an unmatched combination of design expertise, specialized equipment, and skilled personnel to reliably produce high-quality parts to your requirements.
The ability to photochemically etch and precision CNC machine exotic materials (like molybdenum and tungsten) to exact dimensional tolerances has enabled us to work closely with the world’s leading space organizations on critical projects. Elcon forms refractory material components and specializes in photochemically etching grids, which can be used in both TWTs/radar and space propulsion systems.
One example is the NEXT-C ion engine for the Double Asteroid Redirection Test Mission (DART). Directed by NASA, DART is the first-ever planetary defense project to test technologies that are intended to save our planet by preventing catastrophic asteroid impacts.
Elcon is a leading provider of metallization, resistive ceramic coating, photochemical machining, and brazed assembly services.
- High power radio frequency devices
- Cathode assemblies for ion thrusters
- BeO guidance circuit boards
- Microwave communications components
- Infrared sensors for commercial and military applications
- Optical components
- High-power vacuum dielectric coaxial relays for radar systems
- RF and X-ray shields
Our capabilities include:
- Photochemical machining of space compatible metals
- Flight certified sapphire and ceramic metallization
- Vacuum and hydrogen brazing for manufacturing hermetic assemblies
- Chemical, electrical and physical ceramic surface modification
- Precision CNC turning and milling
- Blanket and selective electroplating
- Forming etched components into precision shapes, including hemispheres
- State of the art, non-contact, optical inspection metrology
- High magnification digital X-ray for failure analysis and internal inspection of assemblies
We are one of a few companies in the world who can photochemically etch refractory metals such as titanium, tungsten, molybdenum, and hafnium. Commonly etched metals include:
- Copper alloys
- Monel alloys including Monel 404
- Stainless steel
- Titanium alloys
See more HERE
Withstanding the rigors of flight
Space is one of the most extreme environments imaginable and choosing the right materials can be critical to success. With more than 50 years of experience manufacturing parts for the demanding aerospace environments, Elcon Precision has the knowledge to help you select the best materials and design for your application.
We are one of a few companies in the world who can photochemically etch refractory metals such as titanium, tungsten, molybdenum, and hafnium. With decades of experience and relationships with trusted suppliers of exotic materials, our technical team is here to help.
Massive investments in research and design are required to propel aircraft faster, higher and longer, or create satellites that transmit more information from smaller, more efficient packages. Substandard manufactured components or assemblies can delay project progress or outright ground them.
To ensure world-class quality we have these and many other tools at our disposal:
- Start to finish traceability
- DFAR certified materials
- Microscopic cross-section analysis
- X-ray fluorescence characterization of thick film metallization
- Dye penetrant inspection
- Mechanical bond strength analysis
- Non-destructive inspection using digital X-ray
- Non-contact optical CMM inspection
- Assembly of End Item Data Packages (EIDPs)
Reaching space is challenging, time-consuming, and costly. To avoid flaws and problems that keep projects grounded or are unfixable once in orbit, it’s critical to ensure that even the smallest part is properly manufactured to do its job. Elcon Precision takes the time to get it right.